Periodontal surgery is the most common form of dental surgery. It involves addressing issues related to the gums and bones that support the teeth. Common periodontal surgeries include pocket depth reduction, soft tissue grafts, crown lengthening, osseous surgery, and implant placement. These procedures are designed to restore gum health and can help reduce the risk of future periodontal disease. At Dental Designs of Maryland – White Marsh, MD, we offer periodontic services to our patients.
Our experienced team of dentists can provide the care you need to ensure your gums and teeth stay healthy. Contact us today at 410.834.4284 to learn more about common periodontal surgery and our available treatments.
Common Periodontic Services
Periodontal surgery helps patients by addressing common issues that can arise in the gums and teeth. Common periodontal surgery services we offer include:
- Pocket depth reduction – Assists with reducing the depth of pockets between your teeth and gum line, reducing the risk of future disease
- Soft tissue grafts – Helps replace lost gum tissue, often due to periodontal disease
- Crown lengthening – Helps improve the appearance of your smile by reshaping excess gum and bone tissue that may be causing you to have a “gummy” smile
- Osseous surgery – Removes damaged or infected bone tissue so teeth are properly supported
- Implant placement – Replaces a missing tooth with a dental implant, helping restore your mouth’s health and improve its appearance
At Dental Designs of Maryland – White Marsh, MD, we understand that periodontal surgery can be intimidating for some. We strive to provide our patients with a comfortable experience and ensure they get the care they need.
What Happens During Periodontic Surgery?
Periodontal surgery is common and can help you keep your gums and teeth healthy, so it’s natural for many of us to wonder about the details of such a surgical procedure. Generally speaking, periodontic surgery aims to remove diseased tissue from your mouth to prevent further gum damage and slow the progression of painful gum disease. Depending on what needs to be done, common periodontal surgeries involve procedures such as:
- Removing bacteria from the pockets between teeth that have developed due to plaque buildup
- Reshaping or repairing weakened alveolar bone caused by infection,
- Closing spaces between teeth
For these surgeries to be successful, you’ll need a combination of good oral hygiene habits at home and regular visits with your dentist or periodontist so they can assess any further treatment required.
Benefits of Periodontal Surgery
Periodontal surgery can help restore your gums and teeth to a healthy state. Surgery can slow the progression of gum disease, alleviate painful symptoms, and improve the appearance of your smile. With common periodontal surgeries, you may experience the following:
- Reduced risk for future disease due to increased pocket depth reduction
- More comfort and stability while eating
- A healthier, brighter-looking smile due to crown or tissue grafting
- Improved teeth alignment due to osseous surgery
- Gums and teeth that are stronger than before
If you’re suffering from gum disease and want to learn more about common periodontal surgeries, contact Dental Designs of Maryland – White Marsh, MD today. Our experienced team of dentists can provide the treatment and advice you need to help keep your gums and teeth healthy.
Call Dental Designs of Maryland – White Marsh, MD for Periodontic Surgery in White Marsh, MD
At Dental Designs of Maryland – White Marsh, MD, we strive to give our patients the best care possible by offering a variety of periodontal surgeries. Our experienced team of dentists can provide the level of care you need to restore your gum and teeth health. We look forward to helping you achieve a beautiful and healthier smile. To learn more about common periodontal surgery and our available treatments, contact us today at 410.834.4284 or schedule an appointment.