Perry Hall and Hanover, MD general dentist offers tooth colored fillings
For many years, the silver filling was the standard of care when you got a cavity. For this reason many people associate having cavities with a mouthful of unsightly metal. Today, patients in the Perry Hall, MD and Hanover, MD area have cosmetic options for even the tiniest filling thanks to Dental Designs of Maryland. Our skilled dentists are trained extensively on addressing the problem of tooth decay, and as a cosmetic dentist office, we provide aesthetic options for restoring broken or decayed teeth
What is a Cavity?
In order to understand the solutions, we must first understand how a cavity forms:
- Tartar accumulates – Our mouths contain hundreds of types of natural bacteria, and some eat the sugar left behind in our mouths. As they ingest this sugar, they create a biofilm that coats your teeth, and this film secretes acid as the bacteria eats the sugar.
- Enamel is Weakened – The acids slowly dissolve the minerals in your enamel, a hard protective coating that covers the teeth and prevents pain and sensitivity. These lesions of dissolved enamel form holes, which become a cavity, and allow bacteria to enter into the inside layer of the tooth, the dentin.
- Deep Decay – If left untreated, these cavities continue to advance deeper into the dentin where the nerve and blood supply of the teeth is. At this point, there may be significant pain and swelling, leading to either the need for root canal therapy or even extraction of the tooth.
How to Maintain a Healthy Smile
As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Likewise with cavities and tooth decay, prevention is the best way to avoid all types of dental problems. Brushing twice a day, flossing at least once a day, use of ancillary products like mouthwash or a water flosser, can all help to clean sugar off teeth and prevent cavities from taking hold. Regular dental check-ups and cleanings at Dental Designs of Maryland can also help detect problems early; when dental decay can be treated most efficiently, comfortably, and economically. However, none of this can guarantee that you never get a cavity. After all we subject our teeth to various traumas like large changes in temperature, crunchy and sticky foods, sugary and acid drinks like coffee, wine, energy drinks, even fruit juice! So when cavities do happen, trust Dental Designs of Maryland to provide you beautiful tooth colored restorations that blend beautiful with your aesthetic smile:
- Tooth colored fillings – We only placed white resin fillings that blend in with your smile and are indistinguishable. Gone are the day so ugly metal fillings.
- Porcelain Crowns – Our CEREC single visit crown solution (at select Dental Designs of Maryland locations) will create a beautiful porcelain crown, free of metal, in one visit. No more dark edges or chipped porcelain; these beautiful crowns are often indistinguishable from real teeth.
The caring and compassionate dentists at Dental Designs of Maryland are excited to see you. Call our locations in Perry Hall, MD or Hanover, MD to visit a dental office that truly cares about your oral health and the appearance of your smile.