Has your tooth’s function and appearance been damaged by decay or injury? A dental crown could be the answer to help restore your tooth to its original state. We know it isn’t easy deciding to have a major dental service. However, Dental Designs of Maryland – White Marsh, MD, can make that decision easier for you.
In addition to dental crowns, we offer various dental services in White Marsh, Maryland. Our experienced dental expert team focuses on getting your health and smile back on track. Call us at 410.834.4284 to schedule an appointment.
What Are Dental Crowns?
A dental crown is a cap that goes over a tooth. It restores the tooth to its original shape, size, and function, especially after injury or decay. If a tooth breaks or cracks, a dental crown could be the best option to protect that tooth. The dental crown procedure usually takes two visits to the dentist.
At the first visit, the dentist will prepare the tooth by removing any decay and shaping the tooth. Additionally, a dentist will make an impression on your tooth at this visit so the crown can be created and fit correctly. During the second visit, your dentist will place the crown on the tooth and check how it fits and if your bite feels right. Then the dentist will cement the crown in place. Once you have a dental crown, it’s essential to take care of it to keep it in good condition. Here are some ways to help keep your dental crown in good condition:
- Avoid biting or chewing on hard objects like ice or hard candy
- Be gentle when brushing your teeth
- Floss your teeth daily
- See a dentist for regular checkups
Dental crowns can last for many years, but they’re not permanent. They can last about five to 15 years with the proper care.
The Types of Dental Crowns
The dentist will decide which type of dental crown is best for you based on the location of the tooth, your bite, and your aesthetic goals. The types of dental crowns include:
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal (PFM) – PFM dental crowns are made of metal with a porcelain coating. They are usually used for back teeth because they can withstand more chewing force than other types of crowns.
- All-ceramic – All-ceramic dental crowns are made entirely of porcelain and are best for front teeth. They can also be more natural-looking than other types of crowns.
- Gold – Gold dental crowns are made of gold alloy. They are strong and long-lasting and can be used on any tooth in the mouth.
- Base metal alloys – Base metal alloys are made of metals such as cobalt or chromium. They are durable and placed on any tooth in the mouth.
What Are Dental Bridges?
Dental crowns also support dental bridges. Dental bridges are false teeth used to replace one or more missing teeth. Dental bridges are attached to the natural teeth on either side of the gap left by the missing tooth to fill the space. Dental bridges are made with either porcelain, gold, or a combination of both. Bridges are important in maintaining a healthy mouth and preventing tooth decay and gum disease.
Contact Dental Designs of Maryland – White Marsh, MD Today
To learn more about dental crowns in the White Marsh, MD area, contact Dental Designs of Maryland – White Marsh, MD. We will be delighted to answer any of your questions or concerns or schedule a consultation for you. Our team will work with you to help you achieve and maintain a healthy, beautiful smile.
Contact our office today at 410.834.4284 to schedule an appointment.